AIRLINES MEDICAL DIRECTORS ASSOCIATION
From the Office of the Secretary
February 21, 2017
AMDA 2017 Newsletter
This is the official notification of the 72nd annual meeting of our association, on Saturday April 29, 2017, in Denver, Colorado. It will be held at Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, and the program theme is “High and Dry in Denver”.
The following committees will hold meetings on the preceding Friday, April 28:
- 4 pm – 6 pm: Membership Committee Meeting, Directors Row J
- 7 pm – 9 pm: Executive Council Meeting, Directors Row J
As usual, all members are welcome to attend either of the Friday committee meetings.
The Saturday, April 29 events and locations are:
- 8 am – 5 pm: Scientific Program, Majestic Ballroom
- 4 – 5 pm: General Business Meeting, Majestic Ballroom
- 7 am – 5:30 pm: Exhibits, Vail
- 6:30 pm – 10:30: Cocktails and Dinner, Rockbottom Restaurant
(Paid Members and Invited Guests, 1001 16th St.)
Please also consider attending the CAMA events:
- Sunday April 30, CAMA Sunday, 8 AM – 12:15 PM
“Aircrew Neurocognitive Assessment, The Gold Standard: Laboratory or Simulator?”
- Monday May 1, CAMA Luncheon 12 Noon – 2 PM
(Tickets must be purchased in advance through AsMA for the CAMA Luncheon)
For a hotel information, please see:
General information: http://www.sheratondenverdowntown.com/hotel-features
Specific program details and Saturday morning registration times will be posted as soon as they are finalized.
Please remember that you must be a current AsMA member for AMDA membership to be active as well. To register for the AsMA meeting, please go their registration page at:
Also, if you haven’t done so already, please pay your annual dues ($50 US) as soon as possible. Dues were payable upon receipt of your statement earlier this month, so if you have not yet sent your payment to our Treasurer, Dr. Matt Dumstorf, please do so now even if you are not able to attend the upcoming meeting. If you plan to attend the AMDA dinner this year, please send him payment for dinner ($25 US) for yourself and each guest you wish to bring. Please locate your statement, and then you may either:
(1) mail payment directly to Matt Dumstorf, 2816 Ninovan Lane Minooka, Il 60447
(2) e-mail him (Matthew.Dumstorf@faa.gov) the completed form with credit card info
(3) fax to him the completed form with credit card info – but first please e-mail him so that
he can provide the correct fax # to use
If you do not intend to attend this year, please send me your regrets. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have not heard of any members who have passed away since our May 2016 meeting, so please let me know if you are aware of anyone we have lost.
I would like to recognize our members who were honored by AsMA in 2016:
- Dr. John (Jack) Hastings – Louis Bauer Award
- Dr. Quay Snyder – Boothby-Edwards Award
- Dr. Michael A. Berry – Won Chuel Kay Award
- Dr. Paulo Magalhães Alves – Harry G. Moseley Award
And last, but not least, a message from our President, Bob Orford:
I look forward to seeing you at the AMDA Annual Meeting on Saturday, April 29, 2017, in the Majestic Ballroom of the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel. Program Chair, Dr. Ian Hosegood, and his team have put together an outstanding program. The meeting will include breakfast, coffee, and lunch for AMDA members in the exhibit area. The evening social hour and dinner for members and registered guests will be held at the nearby Rock Bottom Restaurant (1 km walk, or you can take the free MallRide).
Three other programs during the AsMA meeting are particularly relevant to AMDA members:
- CAMA Sunday, 8-12 am on April 30 in Plaza Ballroom D. The topic is “Aircrew Neurological Assessment,” with several speakers. There is no charge to attend.
- CAMA Luncheon, Monday, 12 – 1:30 pm on May 1. Speaker Dr. Russ Rayman on “Operation New Life: Vietnam Rescue.” Check AsMA Program for details.
- AsMA Air Transport Medicine Committee, Monday, May 1. Check AsMA Program for details.
Finally, if you are not already aware, please be advised that there is light rail available from the Denver International Airport to downtown Denver ($9, 37 minutes), and a free shuttle (16th Street Free MallRide Buses) from the train station to the Sheraton.
Petra Illig, M.D.